Sunday, July 1, 2012

Yoga Dogs




In almost every article you read about the different types of yoga you will see the comment, “They even have yoga with dogs!”  I guess that would seem odd for non-dog owners, but for a long time, my biggest excuse for avoiding yoga classes was because my dogs, Casey and Remington, LOVED yoga time.  I get the yoga mat out, and they go crazy!  We all do downward facing dog together.  I used to ask myself, “How could I leave them for class when they love it so much?” until I tried the yoga classes, and I got hooked.  Before I knew it, I had gone six months without treating my pups to yoga.

Now that we have gotten used to yoga classes, I have to get used to yoga with the dogs again.  We have had to institute several new rules.  With our new mats costing nearly $70 each, we have a "No puppies on the mat" rule that was previously not enforced.  It's a rule that is more effective with some than with others...
"I'm not on your mat..."


"Mom, this pose is easy!  I don't know why you complain about it so much..."

We have also had to institute a "No puppy kisses until after yoga class" rule.  This one Remi gets, now.  Before, he would give me kisses in the face while in Plow.  If you have ever tried Plow, you know that it can feel a little claustrophobic and difficult to breathe at times...yeah, try it with a dog kissing your face.

At least Casey only kisses the feet while I'm in Plow.

It certainly makes meditation more challenging to have two dogs running around...or licking your face...



All in all, yoga with the dogs is a very rewarding experience.  I have to be prepared for a little less serious yoga session, but who says yoga should be so serious anyways.  Plus, have you ever seen a more awesome Savasana than this?




No comments:

Post a Comment